Treasure Map

I spent a good period of time working on a present for Emily Hauser. It's a treasure map with 5 clues to it's location. There is no actual place, nor is there really a treasure. I'm never good at prizes anyway. I tend to put days or weeks into the puzzle and 5 minutes into the prize with these things. I spent about a month off and on designing and making the map. I planned it out on Illustrator and the rest is below. I printed the finished product and taped the document together on the back side. During the process I used a make-shift light box. I used a free window I found on craigslist, a light bulb, a concave mirror, and a few other things to give it elevation. I then got some butcher paper, and a large Rubbermaid tub from some friend to dye the paper. I used lots of food coloring and tea to get the right color. This is where the bulk of the costs went in the project. I used 7 yellow packets, 2 red packets, 1 blue packet, and 8 tea bags (which adds more yellow). As you can see I have lots of left over dye. I dryed the paper over night. The next step involved the light box again. I paperclipped three things together, the paper, the document, and a thin sheet of plastic for mobility and constancy. I traced the document onto the paper with an ink well pen with different points to vary thickness. All the tracing took about 6 hours. I then removed the paper and added some finishing touches. I crumpled, ripped and burned the paper to add aging. The final product looks pretty cool to me. I can always make another too, but I probably won't unless I can find a cheaper way to get the paper colored.


peices

taped

coloring

dye and dry

trace

back light

trace done

crumple

rough edges

burn edges

DONE!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ye found me map, damn yuz. Lest ye didn't findz me treasure -- it's still hiding in the soup can. I, thar be a soup can that is filled with me gold. Yuz drink it and ye turnz young again, like a wee little baby. Rrrr

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home